Develop your creative skills and learn to think like a designer
WHY TAKE THIS COURSE?
This course enables students to develop a strong design identity through creative investigation of the interior. The focus of studies is on both the adaptation of existing buildings by manipulating the architectural fabric and occupying new spaces through designing atmospheric environments.
You will be provided with the opportunity to work within the commercial, social and historic contexts of Portsmouth on both imagined and ‘live’ projects with real clients, in connection with our Project Office. The course is recognised for this unique approach to professional practice.
You will learn the skills and develop values that enable you to contribute to the creation of our built environment with imagination, sensitivity, confidence and professionalism.
WHAT WILL I EXPERIENCE?
On this course you can:
- Develop concepts and designs in a lively studio environment, conversing, making and drawing alongside others
- Critically debate history, theory, contemporary interior architecture and design
- Develop technical skills and an understanding of the rigours and ethics of professional practice
- Take a placement year in practice
- Work on real-life projects in our Project Office
- Please view the School of Architecture blog
European Field Trip Included for BA1 Students
First year Architecture and Interior Architecture and Design students will visit a European city in Teaching Block 1. Flights, transfers in Europe and accommodation are fully included. Transfers to and from UK airports, subsistence and spending money are not included.
WHAT OPPORTUNITIES MIGHT IT LEAD TO?
This undergraduate degree provides access to a diverse range of future careers in the creative industries and higher levels of education. Our graduates have found work in a number of fields and practice types, which include:
- multi-disciplinary architectural design practices
- small and large commercial and retail practices
- brand consultancies
- film studios
- as model-makers
- as visual merchandisers
- as computer visualisers
Graduates have also found work in other fields such as education, events planning and retail management and many of our students also go on to study subjects at MA level.
Entry Requirement: Year 12 equivalent
Course Duration: 3 years
The University of Portsmouth is a public university in the city of Portsmouth, England. The history of the university dates back to 1908, when the Park building opened as a Municipal college and public library.